Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Got my seat pan idea rollin' along. Setup my first layer, and it feels good to sit in and gives me the couple inches I want to sink into the S1. The turtledeck is the 15" the plans call for in height. The seat frame however, is a touch lower than plans. The tubes were measured out THAN notched and fitted ... in essence loosing a good 1/2" per tube. The seat framework sits very close to the control tube, but does not interfere. Again, I am 6'1" and I think will fit nice and cozy :)
Got to this point yesterday. 
And in the airplane .. so now I can really see the "dip" that I was looking for. Lots of work to do yet on this idea. But it should pan out ... pun inteded :)
Tonight ... I got to making a jig to form up the engine mount. Used dense particle board and layed out my measurements on each piece. Got a piece for the firewall side, and the engine side. 
This is the firewall side .. with my engine mounts bolted in place with 3/8" el'cheapo bolts. Plan was to make a fairly rigid jig, then add my 5/8 x .035 tubing. I will tack, and finish weld as much as i can in this jig before it bursts into flames :)
 
And the finished product ready to use. Simple, but aligning both sides was quite the chore. The 2x3's in the middle are glued to one side, all layed out on a circle I drew at the centerline. I used welding rod in the center to pre align, then spent some time getting it just so. I drew the centerline on each piece over the sides and top ... used a level straight up to get them perfect. All went well, and I am excited to get a mount out of this contraption. 

No comments:

Post a Comment