Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fathers day .. mount, pedals, throttle

Seems every time I work on this thing, I learn something new. Its alot of fun, and keeps the mind busy. 
I am confident in my welding ... but last night I realized again, that I am using too little heat in my oxy/ace setup. I used my #1 tip on my big handle to get that engine mount goin ... seemed my little victor junior wouldnt get it done. After the big, open areas were welded up .. I decided to go back to the Vic Jr. with an 000 tip. Figured I would crank up pressure to 10 psi on both ends, and set a big cone. It worked well. It heated up quickly .. dropped in some filler and got out. I get alot less carbon and crap buildup and less warpage to take care of later. Good Stuff. 

Mount done .. need to ream out the bushing holes again, and sand blast and powder coat. Should look good. 
The rudder pedal/cable attach point needs reinforcement. The plans call for 3/8 tube from the top of the tube where the cable attaches to up to the top corner of the rudder pedal. This creates an angle that I didnt like, as the way my foot sits on the pedal, the angle of the reinforcement tube would have been uncomfortable. So I can up with this, after debating other ideas. This is clean, nice and square, and allows toe brakes in the future. 

AeroVee sells a neat throttle quadrant that I like, but like anything else aviation, it is $$$. Thought I would try out my own throttle lever, using Monnet's measurements with a 3/4 tube attached. Its really comfy and feels .. "cool" in hand :) I am enjoying building MY airplane, that fits me. The Decathlon I rent has such a short stick, I actually hunch over a bit use it ... sucks. And due to the forward hunch, the throttle feels like its behind me. Anyhoo .. this plane will "fit" me, and I am pumped about that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment