Thursday, June 16, 2011

engine mount

Cutting, fitting, grinding and filing tubes. 5/8 x .035 chromo tube is used for the engine mount. 

I started on the lower tubes, as my jig is standing up .. which is wonderful to work with. Standing it up was a last minute idea, and sure glad i did. 
Starting with the bottom diagonal, I nothced the tube, then took off the upper motor mount and notched the upper part of the tube. Trial and fit, trial and fit until the upper mount lines up just right to slide the bolt in. Repeat for other lower tube. And move up to the next level. 

Worked great .. but the upper tubes, which are almost horizontal and almost a straight line from the forward mount to the rearward mount turned out to be a challange. I needed to offset the tube for bolt clearance, and then dropped the rear of the upper tube to the lower diagonal in hopes to get the bolt clearance I need. I am waiting for approval of this modification from some experienced Sonerai builders before I weld it all up. 
So side view ... forward, or engine is to the right >>>>
<<<<<<<<<Rearward, or firewal is to the left 
The bolts/clearance issue is the top left firewall mount. 
This was my "fix". To drop the upper tube .. I am concerned that since it does not connect directly to the mount, but rather the tube below, that it might not pass muster, or inspection. I hope to have opinions soon on Sonerai.net. 

You can see the offset needed for bolt clearance. This is all good .. and is the engine, upper, right side mount. 
Overhead of the top of the mount .. engine to right, firewall to left. You can see offset, and the left junction were I dropped the tube. Notice that it shows in this shot how the tube would go right into the bolt I had not dropped it down. 

I want this to work ... hope I get good news. I dont want to gussett this joint up and add weight and ugly-ness (that a word?).


No comments:

Post a Comment