Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Rudder pedals .. cables and guides

Rudder pedals, cables and cable pulleys. 
Pedals in, cables attached .. 

Pedals in ... 
So the finished part .. see what I mean about not perfect? It looks good .. but could be better :)
Finished part .. strong, light, and able to get the cables in and out. 
I made a plate to fit the diagonals, and heated and bent a lip on the forward side for rigidity. Once in place, I gas welded it in and then drilled the holes from below using the original pulley holes for a perfect fit. You can see that the clevis wont pass through ... and after I was done, the professional way to do it would have been to form the part before I welded the plate in. My plan worked fine, and will work great. Its much easier to make a part "perfect" on the bench than in the structure. 
You can easily see why the "U" shape wasnt used .. clevis wont pass through

Top plate in place
I needed to complete the rear pulley set-up. The plans call for a "U" shaped mount, for each pulley, welded to a diagonal on each side. Issue was, the sweet rudder cables clevis end wont pass through the thin "U". So a plate was used, and thats not enough. I decided to expand on the plate, and get it strong and light. 
4130 chromo sheet that will be used.

Rear pulley set-up .. ready for some work. 
Today I got some work done. Spent a few hours finishing up the rudder pedals, hooked up the cables and then finished up the rear pulley mounts. 
Finished the cable mounts .. 

My "jig" to hold the parts for gas welding up ..

On the Sonerai 1, the plans call for mechanical toe brakes. You notice the rearward angle of the cable mounts I made up .. this goes along with the cables used to actuate the mechanical brakes. Needless to say, I will be using hydro brakes, and not on the pedals. The plan is to use a lightweight, two lever set-up, just under the seat.


No comments:

Post a Comment